About the Book
Do you long to immerse yourself in God’s Word and discover its truths for yourself? The new and exciting Digging Deeper Series was created just for you! Embark on a fulfilling journey through God’s Word using a foundation of Scripture as well as history.
Will there really be a seven-year peace treaty with a man known as the Antichrist? Who are the Kings of the North and South and what role do they play in the end-times? Have the prophecies of Daniel already been fulfilled? Many have speculated on who they could be. Using Scripture and history as our guide, this study will seek to reveal the truth. Discover God’s plan for the Jewish people and for the world. See how events played out historically, and where we can expect to be taken next. Undertake a journey through the Book of Daniel and discover God’s plan for your life.
It isn’t easy being a follower of Christ. Our current culture is often intolerant of Judeo/Christian values and beliefs. Christians are becoming the minority in a world that has grown hostile towards us. This is why Daniel is the perfect book for today’s Christian. Daniel and his friends Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego are excellent examples of godly men. They lived obedient and courageous lives for God. They did this while earning the admiration and respect of those who had taken them captive.
The book of Daniel was written for the Jewish people during their Babylonian captivity. The first half provides us with valuable lessons on how to live faith-filled lives. The second half of Daniel opens up a world that is both prophetic and historical in nature. I am sure it will encourage discussion and deep thought as you dig deeper into its truths.
Have you ever had to stand up for your faith? If so, what happened? How did it make you feel? What were the end results?
Read Daniel 1:1-21 and answer the following questions:
1. When do the events of this chapter occur?
2. Who was the king of Babylon and what did he do?
3. Read Daniel 1:2 and 2 Kings 24:14-15. Who did Nebuchadnezzar capture?
4. Read 2 Kings 24:14. Who was not captured by Nebuchadnezzar?
5. Read Daniel 1:2 and 2 Chronicles 36:18. What else did Nebuchadnezzar take from Jerusalem?
6. Where did Nebuchadnezzar take his captives?
The land of Shinar, also known as Babylonia, was the ancient name for Babylon. Babylon is in Iraq.
7. After Nebuchadnezzar took the vessels from the house of God, where did he put them?
If you are using an NIV or NASB, the Hebrew word for “official” is cariyc and it means “eunuch.” Ashpenaz was the chief or master of the eunuchs.
8. The king ordered Ashpenaz to select youths from Israel and the royal family to serve in his court. What qualities did these youths require?
9. What did he order Ashpenaz to teach them?
10. How long were they educated?
11. What were the new names given to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah?
12. What was Daniel determined not to do?
13. Who did Daniel seek permission from to carry out his plan?
14. What did Daniel propose to the chief of the eunuchs and what was the result?
15. What did God give Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah? And what was Daniel’s particular gift?
16. What did the king find unique about them?
17. How long did Daniel serve the king?
This first chapter of Daniel shows us what God will do for those who wish to honour Him. Daniel did not want to defile himself with the king’s food. As an Israelite, many foods were forbidden to him, foods that were part of Nebuchadnezzar’s meal plan. But Daniel trusted that if he honoured God, the Lord would hear and answer his request, which He did.
As we continue with our study, we will discover that because he stood firm in his faith, Daniel was a man highly esteemed by God.
LIFE APPLICATION: Have you ever had to stand up for your faith? What about your convictions, those areas of your life where you stand firm, never crossing the line? If lying is wrong, but telling the truth could hurt someone, would you still persevere in your conviction not to lie? Today, try to be aware of those areas in your life where you may be failing and be a Daniel. Stand firm.
About the Author
Laura J. Davis is a former singer/songwriter who took to writing full-time after emergency surgery caused the loss of her singing voice. Her singing career had lasted for 30 years. Her first book, “Come to Me,” was a novel on the life of Christ through the eyes of his mother. It went on to win a Reader’s Favorite Award. She followed that up with a Bible study on the life of Christ called Learning from the Master, Living a Surrendered Life and soon found her true calling – writing Bible studies. Her latest book, Unlocking the Truth of Daniel is the first in the new Digging Deeper series that explores prophecy and history in context with Scripture. You can follow her blog online or touch base with her on Twitter or Facebook.
Buy the Book
Laura’s Website (signed copies)
DISCLOSURE: SOME OF THE LINKS IN THE PAGE ABOVE MAY BE “AFFILIATE LINKS.” THIS MEANS IF YOU CLICK ON THE LINK AND PURCHASE THE ITEM, WE WILL RECEIVE AN AFFILIATE COMMISSION. WE ARE DISCLOSING THIS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION’S 16 CFR, PART 255: “GUIDES CONCERNING THE USE OF ENDORSEMENTS AND TESTIMONIALS IN ADVERTISING.”